Monday, September 5, 2011

65 Honey-Buzzards and a Wryneck

Autumn Migration is starting at the moment, i got to see that last saturday, when I was in the Wedeler Marsch again.
When I arrived I first spotted 4 Honey-Buzzards flying over, then a group of 14 more and then another group of 25... In the end of the day i had seen 65 Honey-Buzzards, when I had seen before only one single time Honey-Buzzards in the Duvenstedter Brook.
I was also overlown by 3 White Storks and found some other nice birds: First I found some Spotted and Pied Flycatchers which I hadn't seen before in the Wedeler Marsch.
In the bird hide (Carl-Zeiss-Station) there was no observing birds, as there was work done for a new island in the water for the waders and other waterbirds. But in the grasslands around I found between many Greylag Geese an hybrid goose of Greylag x Canada Goose.
On the dike I encountered by hazard another member of the birdnet forum and we talked a lttle. She showed me a sitting White-tailed Eagle and a group of 25 Golden Plovers.
Our ways soon parted sadly and just after we said goodbye I found a family of 2 Little Grebes with 3 chicks.
I went on and found maaannny Egyptian Geese, at least 50 probably even many more. I never seen that many Egyptian Geese before!
11 Great Egrets had already migrated here from there breeding grounds in more eastern countries like Poland. A few maybe migrating songbirds were 4 Stonechats, 2 Whinchats, 2 Sand Martins, a Winter Wren and a Common Redstart.
There were also quite a few birds of prey around with 1 Sparrowhawk, 1 Marsh Harrier, more Honey-Buzzards, Common Buzzards, (the White-tailed Eagle before) and in the end of the day a migrating Osprey.
I found an early Greater White-fronted Goose and 2 Rooks, that nest in the surroundings of the Wedeler Marsch.
But the best bird of the day was for sure the WRYNECK! It topped even the 65 Honey-Buzzards, which was quite difficult. I would NEVER EVER have sought to find a Wryneck there. I even got some nice pics.
When I was photographing it I was distracted by a move in the Sedges and for a very short part of a second i could see some dark bird walk out of it and in the same moment vanish again, as it spotted me just afew meters away from it. I'm not sure what it was, but my guess is for Water Rail...

No comments:

Post a Comment