Friday, October 29, 2010

Finally the Eagle-Owl!

A Dunnock that sat just under my window

I knew there was an Eagle-Owl here in the surroundings as I had heard of it. Then I got finally the information, where it lived: On a cementary not even 2km from my house. This cementary is the biggest cementary of Europe and therof I didn't find the Eagle-Owl twice, eventhough I knew almost exactly were it was supposed to be.
This time I had been birding around a near sea with many ducks and I had been hoping for a new species, but I only got birds I had seen before on it. Concerning ducks I saw Mallards, a female Red-crested Pochard, Tufted Ducks, Common Pochards, Common Goldeneye and a few hybrids of House Ducks and Mallards...
5 Grey-Herons (during the warm period of the year there's a big colony of about 30-40 pairs breeding on an island), 4 Cormorants, Canada and Greylag Geese, Great Crested Grebes were on the sea.
I was already going to go back home when I thought of trying again for the Eagle-Owl. That was a very good idea, because this time i finally saw it, exactly where I had been the last times... I am so happy now!
The Eagle-Owl had caught something the night before and was eating in its box
Some breeding box had been build for the Owl...

Two Tufted Ducks, first a male, then a female...
Just a common Greylag Goose

Apart from that I got to see my first Waxwings this year, much earlier than I see them normally. A group of 30 Gulls probably Black-headed gull was migrating to warmer places aswell as a group of about 50(!) Buzzards. I'm not sure but I'd say those were Rough-legged Buzzards, which would mean another new species for me.
My first Waxwings this year
The migrating Gulls

No comments:

Post a Comment