Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Garden birding

Winter is coming, everybody here feels it. It is really cold and sometimes in the morning we do already have frost. So I set up a little feeder-house to watch the birds in my garden. Until now 9 bird species have visited it, eventhough I have seen 41 in or aroung my garden...
Last sunday a Greater Spotted Woodpecker visited my feeders, a bird I had been hoping for there, but that wouldn't come for a long time.

A female and I even got acceptable shots of it. Other birds I have seen there were Winter Wren, Dunnock, Robin, Blue and Great Tit and Blackbird. A Magpie and a Jay tried to reach the food, but were too big for the house but a Squirrel had no problems to enter it...

Apart from that I got a few other bird species too. For example I saw my first Little Grebe in Hamburg, the first Hooded Crow and Redpolls for this winter. When I was on the Elbe I encountered many Pheasants but also the Eurasian Teals I hadn't seen at all since then.
But nevertheless I think my first encounter ever with Little Spotted Woodpecker was the best finding during the last days... Sadly I didn't have my camera with me...

No comments:

Post a Comment