Friday, October 22, 2010

Birding in the Bretagne


Only short time after I had arrived at Germany I went to France. I would have disclaimed on this trip, I made the best out of it and went birding for two days around a small village called Pen Mané.
The first day got me a few new bird species, especially water- and shorebirds. For example Black-tailed Godwits, Shelducks and Sandwich Terns. But the most interesting one were the Sacred Ibis' that flew over me several times. Escapees have built up a small colony in this region since the 70's. Cool bird...
The first day ended with Bearded Reedlings, which I had to stalk about 15 minutes, before they would come out of the reed, eventhough I had seen the reed move all the time and knew where the Reedlings had to be... That was favourite bird of the day though.


The next day I started very early morning and arrived to the lagoon about five minutes before the sun would rise. The day started very good as I found another favourite bird of mine standing between Grey Herons and Little Egrets, Gulls and Moorhens: The Eurasian Spoonbill. What a cool bird.
I got really good photos of the lagoon and its birds with the sunrise. I saw more Sacred Ibis`s and Bearded Reedlings and also got to see a pair of Water Rails, which I had maybe seen the day before, but I couldn't identifie them for sure...
On the fields around where Northern Wheatears, Meadow Pipits, Chiffchaffs and a Grasshopper Warbler in the reed, on the water were Little Grebes, the Shelducks and between them I found some Little Stints, Dunlins and many other bird species.

I have seen 20 bird species, that I haven't seen in Germany yet for the year 2010.
But my list is growing with everyday and I have now seen a total of 122 species in Germany and France. And there's still a lot of dirt common birds I haven't yet seen. Well most of those are summer birds, that's why I haven't seen them:-P





What a nice sunrise...
Little Egret
My first Spoonbill!
Sacred Ibis flying over
Another one
Bar-tailed Godwits
Dunlins...
Water Rail
Greater Black-backed Gull
The best picture I got of the Bearded reedlings, what a shame...
Stonechat
Meadow Pipit
Who dives there...?

No comments:

Post a Comment