Wednesday, October 13, 2010

The mammals of Ecuador




Many humpback whales swam around in the coastal waters
Once a group of 4 Pink River Dolphins showed up at Coca and in Cuyabeno we saw them different times.

I found two Capybaras close to Coca and a many more at the Samona Jungle Lodge...
Black Agoutis were common at Samona
A Tapeti in the highlands of Ecuador
The Guayaquil Squirrel
And a Red-tailed Squirrel
A White-tailed Deer I encountered while walking through the highland paramos of Papallacta

The Tapir and its funny nose
I think the left one is a Galapagos Fur Seal



Sea Lions on Galapagos
An Andean Fox
At Samona Lodge a single Coati crossed the river and at the Yellow House trails I found another group of these cool animals...
A Hoffmann's Two-toed Sloth
I saw Monk Sakis at Samona aswell as in Cuyabeno
Squirrel Monkeys were the most common monkeys
I saw White-tailed Titis at Samona, but first in Shushufindi, an oil-town in the rainforest
Graell's Tamarin was the first monkey I ever saw and I found it also in Cuyabeno
This tiny Pygmy Marmoset lived close to a road near Coca...



Bats were common in the lowlands and even on Galapagos. Ecuador has the biggest number of bat species in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment