Saturday, May 22, 2010

New bird for me...

So today was my last day at ecuadorian school and from now on I will have freetime and can do what I want until my parents come. They will come in July and we'll go to very interesting places, like Cuyabeno and La Isla de la Plata, where I hope apart from many birds, to see Amazon River Dolphins, monkeys sloths and Humpback Whales.
The birds I want to see most in these places are macaws, more toucans and also Albatrosses and the Boobies (especially Red-footed, which i missed on Galapagos).
In these 1 1/2 months I will go very much birding I think and hope and so today I began in Quito.
So I went on the nearby little field, just a few steps for my house, where there are always some birds. The weather was rather good for birdwatching, it was very cloudy and it would rain now and then. The birds were very active and I had as much birds as never before. There were big flocks of Brown-bellied Swallows over my head. Some Rufous-collared Sparrows hopped around and then also a Black-tailed Trainbearer allowed me stunning views! When i arrived at the field a pair of Blue-and-yellow Tanagers flew away and many Great Thrushes were searching for food. I saw about ten Yellow-bellied Chat-Tyrants and realized soon I had identified a bird wrongly before... This meant I had to erase a species from my list. But soon I could replace it with another new species. It was there for a short time, but sufficient to see its yellow beak, through my new bought binoculars. This bird was a Band-tailed Seedeater... Soon after i also saw some Tufted Tit-Tyrants, Sparkling Violetears and a single American Kestrel, of which I got yesterday very close to a pair...

And tomorrow I hope to get birding in another site... Maybe Mindo again? It is the easiest place to get to.

No comments:

Post a Comment