Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Geobotanical Reserve Pululahua

This monday was independence day in Ecuador and this meant nobody had to work. So my family organized a trip to Pululahua a volcan crater, in which people are living. We arrived there about 12 o'clock and went to a place where we would eat our lunch. It was very, very cloudy sometimes you couldn't even see more than 15m. But this still was enough to see some birds. Even before most of my family had arrived at this place I had already spotted some Band-tailed Pigeons sitting in a tree. I went to investigate a little movement but was soon distracted by a Ecuadorian Hillstar.
The next bird was a bird I really wanted to see, the Scarlet-bellied Mountain-Tanager. Soon some more birds appeared, especially hummingbirds called everywhere, so I got also Mountain Velvetbreast, Black-tailed Trainbearer, Sparkling Violetear, Sapphire-vented Puffleg and I think also the green-tailed Trainbearer. A few Speckle-faced Parrots flew over, which I hadn't thought to exist at such heights. Later I heard some strange noise that showed to be a pair of Andean Guans, so I got my 3rd species of Guans in 2 days. Some ground-dwelling birds didn't show well enough to identify them and apart from Azara's Spinetail and some very beautiful Yellow-breasted Brush-Finches there wasn't too much more.
But this was enough for the short time I went birding, because I also spent some time with my family...
An Andean Guan through the very thick fog
A beautiful flower in the crater
The typical plants/trees

No comments:

Post a Comment