Monday, May 24, 2010

Mindo in the morning

I went to Mindo, as I had been hoping, but not lonely, like the last time. My host-brother and his girlfriend brought me there and we were there one night.
We arrived in Mindo very late and there was a big party in the central parc. I don't know why, but all the hostels were full and it seemed like we had to head back to Quito, when we finally found, what seemed to be the last two rooms in all of Mindo.
Considering we had arrived that late and there was so much noise, I knew it wasn't worth the effort to go birding. But the next day, I wanted to start at 4 in the morning.
Somehow this night I couldn't sleep at all lay there all the time until 4AM when I got up and tried to go outside as noiseless as possible. Nobody noticed me slip out, but I had informed my brother before about, what I was going to do.
My hope of owls or any mammals wouldn't come true, but I began the day with a huge moth with incredible glowing eyes (at least in the light of my flashlight). I caught the wrong way as I realized soon and had to return. Only a pair of fiery red eyes in a little river caught my attention for a while. I still ask myself what I saw, but I think it must have been some reptile, probably a Western Basilisk...
Finally I found the right way, crossing Irman Arias, a local bird guide who was going to go birding with two other persons...
Soon I arrived near a field, where some bird was calling. I'm not very good in identifying bird songs, so it was just some bird. I finally found an eye in the grass and now at home have identified it because of its song as a Pauraque. Anotherone was calling nearby.
Then I had to cross a river, where I could also spot such an eye, but when it flew up, it didn' t fly like any bird I've seen before. No idea if it was another Pauraque or something completely different.
It soon began to dawn and I could finally see a little more. the first birds began to sing also some, I would think were Potoos. And then finally the bird I had been searching for all the time. An owl sitting on a stick against the fog. This would have been such a beautiful picture, if it hadn't noted me aswell. The Mottled Owl, as i ID'd it soon flew away and I was already happy about the day. Later I got to the Canopy ropes that had been my goal...
It was still dawning and the fog made everything appear rather grey. I found some small birds, but they were at such neckbreaking angles over me, that I couldn't really concentrate, while trying to watch them. The only birds I finally ID'd were 4 far away Crested Guans, a rather rare bird so I had very much luck today, like the last time... After this I watched a little bit the hummingbirds, around the feeders and then found a big flock of many new birds to me. Especially tanagers were abundant, but also some furnariids (woodcreepers, spinetails and similar stuff) and flycatchers showed up. New to me were the Golden-naped, Swallow and Bay-headed Tanagers, all very cool birds. The furnariids were good visible but somehow they didn't look like in my field guide:-( i will never be able to know which I saw...
I walked back to the feeders, were now a male Sickle-winged Guan got my attention and then a group af Red-billed Parrots flew by.
I had promised my brother to be at the hostel at 8:00 but it was already 8:20, so I decided to walk "home" and if possible take some taxi down. On the way down I came across a group of 2 Crimson-rumped Emeralds and 4 Pale-mandibled Aracaris, but just in this moment a taxi came and picked me up...
The only 2 birds that are worth to be named after this were another White-capped Dipper, flying along the river Mindo and some bird i flushed but couldn't identify. It was either some rail or some quail-dove of that I'm sure and it makes me feel even worse, not having been able to ID it...
Another nice day was over, when I went with my brother to the Mariposario and tubing which was funny enough to recompensate the birds I didn't see in this time...

No comments:

Post a Comment