Monday, May 17, 2010

Common Pheasant at Papallacta

So this weekend my exchange organisation went to Papallacta, where we would go bath in some hot water springs. But the papllacta Pass and Papallacta are well-known birding-spots, so I just couldn't resist to look for new species...
I did nothing like hike around, but just kept my eyes open and so found some special birds.
The day began with a Southern Yellow Grosbeak, which meant a new yardbird and a very good start. Then on the way out of Quito, some flycatchers got my attention and later were identified as Streak-throated Bush-Tyrants, the first new species for me...
On the Papallacta Pass I saw something flying very, very high and soon identified it as 2 Variable Hawks, so that my first hope of an Andean Condor was wrong.
Then at some restaurant, we made a short halt and I saw, without searching a Streak-breasted Antpitta. But I won't add this one to my species list, as it was captured and hopping around in a glass box... So when I walked out, back to the bus, a big, long-tailed bird flew in, sat down like 20 seconds near the road and then flew away again...
I was a little bit confused to see a beautiful male Common Pheasant in Ecuador. This one lives in Asia and has been brought to Europe, where I have already seen it many times. But here in Ecuador? it must have escaped from somewhere... Strange!

Then later at Papallacta it began with another new species for me, the Tyrian Metaltail, feeding in a bush and allowing me very good views.
We went to the hot springs I saw some Thrushes and other common birds, like the Black Flowerpiercer. But when I went to the Papallacta river, just on the side I got my 3rd new species this day, a Shining Sunbeam. However I didn't have as good views, like on the Tyrian Metaltail and I'd have liked to see his shining back, which it is named after...
My second ever White-capped Dipper hopped from rock to rock and I finally got some pictures and I startled a Viridian Metaltail out of its nest, well-hidden under a big rock in the river. It came back soon and I also got some nice pics of this one...
So I ended up with a new yardbird, four new species, some good pictures and a bird that doesn't live here...
WOW, that is beautiful indeed.
The White-capped Dipper of which I got very good views this day
The Viridian Metaltail in its nest

No comments:

Post a Comment