Saturday, February 5, 2011

Second time at the Wedeler Marsch



Last Sunday I went to the Wedeler Marsch a second time, where I wanted to add some birds to my year list and also hoped for totally new birds and so I started in the morning with my bike and the metro took me there. When I arrived in Wedel, the first Jackdaws greeted me and after 10 minutes I got to the Wedeler Marsch, where the first birds where a group of 9 Greater White-fronted Geese in the very thick mist. Already the first new year birds. Some 50 metres away was a big group of Greylag Geese with a small troup of Barnacle Geese between. Second new year bird...
I passed several more troups of Greylags and got a group of 18 Mergansers. While watching them a big noise behindlet me turn around, but first I didn't see anything due to the fog. But then a big black wall of about 2000 Barnacle Geese came flying in my direction to land not very far away.
I drove on and soon arrived at the Elbe. Eventhough I was just 20 meters away I almost couldn't see. But then I finally found some birds on the water near the shore. Between another group of Greylags I saw my first Smew ever, about five minutes later I got to see my first Reed Bunting foraging in the shelf.
I then went to the Carl-Zeiss-Birdstation, a station to observe birds, where in the last days some very good birds had been reported but as only 2 days ago the night had been very cold again the seas had frozen again and all the ducks and other waterbirds had gone. The only birds I got to see were a Buzzard, a Black-headed Gull and 4 Mew Gulls. At least I met some other birders with whom I could talk a bit.
Then I drove on to find some more interesting birds. On the Elbe were 3 Dunlins "surfing" on an ice floe. Then I got to see the third absolutely new bird: A pair of Wigeons! Still the fog was too thick for good pictures.
After this I got some more good birds, like Bean Goose, Rough-legged Buzzards, a chasing White-tailed Eagle and a flyover pair of Great Egrets. I also got to hear two Water Rails and approached to 2m but I couldn't find them :(
I finally ended this very grey but still good day with five deers.
I ended the month january with a total of 76 species! Not bad, I think...

This is the only acceptable pictures from this day, cause I got quite close to the Bean Geese...

No comments:

Post a Comment