Monday, January 3, 2011

The Stadtpark


The Stadtpark (or in English the City-park) is a beautiful park area in midst of Hamburg. It is much liked and visited especially during the summer. But I went today, during the freezing winter to look for a new species. And I got it in the very end...
I started quite late but luckily it isn't far from my home and so I got there soon.
First I walked to a little lake where beside a Grey Heron, 2 Moorhens, 58 Mallards and 2 Laughing Gulls swam my first Pintail ever. A female and a LIFER
The lake was almost completely frozen and only a very small patch was still open and all the life was gathered there... Also some fish and I saw a young perch and 2 big carps. There was also a big, but dead pike on the ground...:-(

Then I walked on through the park and found a Goldcrest and some Long-tailed Tits. But my main-goal was to find a group of 4 Long-eared Owls. A knew where it was supposed to be, but I couldn't find the exact place, and when it was almost dark already I finally found someone who could show me. Another LIFER today, eventhough the year is still so young...
I watched them for a time and hoped they would fly away soon, as got darker and darker, but they would only stretch their wings...
My first Pintail ever!
Three Long-eared Owls
They were way smaller, than I had always thought, especially after having seen the gigantic Eagle-Owl

No comments:

Post a Comment