Friday, December 31, 2010

The Wedeler Marsch


Two and a half month ago i went to the Wedeler Marsch in the far west of Hamburg to see some goose migration. In the afternoon I arrived there and didn't find much at the beginning. But the further I walked, the more birds did I encounter. And before finding the big troups of geese I had already seen a Raven, 3 Kestrels, Starlings and some Gadwalls...
Then I suddenly stood in midst of big troops of Greylag Geese and Barnacle Geese. I had to search but also found a few Bean and a few more Greater White-fronted Geese. On the mud from the Elbe there were hundreds of Lapwings and some European Golden-Plovers. Also some Dunlins and Shelducks were around and I flushed several Wood Sandpipers while walking on the shore. Every now and then some passerines flew out of the grass and most of them could be identified as Skylark, but also some were White Wagtails and some birds were unidentifiable. In the greenlands behind me were 9 Great Egrets, 2 Whooper Swans flew over and some large raptor disappeared behind the trees...

The sinking sun played beautifully with the lights and from one moment to the other hundreds of thousands of geese started to fly. Some just flew from the greenlands to the mudflats others flew away to other destinations...

What a spectacular thing to watch!










No comments:

Post a Comment