Wednesday, August 3, 2011

200. year bird!!!

Before I load up the pics from Madrid I want to report that I got my 200. year bird yesterday, which is also my 700. lifer: European Honey-Buzzard.
I got to see at least one, but probably even two. The first one was very shy and always flew to another branch out of sight when I'd point my camera at it. I followed it but got no better shot than this:
Then maybe half an hour later I saw a bird of prey flying over. Through my binoculars I identified it to be another (or maybe the same?) Honey-Buzzard. So this time I got my chance to get some decent shots. But when I looked at this picture it looked rather like a Common Buzzard, than a Honey-Buzzard to me.
I uploaded this picture to a bulletin board where the idea of a very early Rough-legged Buzzard came up.
But this picture supported my first idea of Honey-Buzzard:
It seems now quite sure, that this is a Honey-Buzzard...
Other interesting birds this day were 3 Red-backed Shrikes, 3 Stonechats, 5 White Storks, 2 Red Kites and 4 Cranes.

No comments:

Post a Comment