Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Coca: third part

Finally I will also bring you the third part of my trip to Coca, where I made some incredible sightings of wildlife and birds, I would never in all of my life have expected about 1,5km around Coca.
The day after I had returned from Tiguino I went another time to the lagoons I had discovered only a few days before. On the way I got some nice birds and also some bird that I still ask me, what it may have been. It must have been some flycatcher with a long tail, but there are too many species to find out which it was...
When I was at the lagoon there were about 50 Black Vultures along with 5 Great Egrets and about 20 Snowy Egrets. A bigger grey heron flew away before I even noticed it had been there and don't know what it was... The juvenile Little Blue Heron was still there. When I came near all those birds flew up making a lot of noise and flying everywhere to sit down in other trees.
The Wattled Jacanas and the Southern Lapwings were all over and from time a few passerines came up. A group of 4 parakeets sat down in a tree nearby and both Green and Amazon Kingfisher showed up. A pair of greyish birds were hiding in the high grass, which I couldn't identifie and a Blackish Rail flew over the lagoon.
This day I ended with only a few new birds, but when I was already going to cross the bridge back to Coca a guan crossed the street in front of me, which somehow confused me a bit... So close to Coca?!

Well the next day I slept rather much and went birding only during the late afternoon. I found a big flock of Toucans if you can say so. There were all three species of Aracaris I had seen before, but Many-banded and Lettered Aracari were new for me in this area. Then I noticed some big birds in a tree in which I was oping for raptors. It was clear it were guans, but what could they be? They were far away and sometimes looked black, sometimes brown I tried to get closer, but they flew away everytime. They were too big for Speckled Chachalaca and had no white like Blue-throated Piping Guan. So there were just 3 possibilities left. Spix's Guan or one of the two Curassows It was a group of 8 birds and because of their activity that began only 20 minutes before it got dark I suggest it are the Nocturnal Curassows, but am Already asking other people which it was... Eventhough I don't think my pictures are sufficient for this...
But the best was when came back onto the street and looked back and there were two Macaws flying. I tried to catch up with them running down the street, butthey were too fast. I need to get the ability of flying!!! But I could at least identifie them as Military Macaws, meaning this was my third macaw species and the both easiest are still missing! I will probably get to see them in Cuyabeno, maybe also the Chestnut-fronted Macaw. The only one I doubt I will see is the Great Green Macaw...
The next day was going to be the last day, but for sure it was not the least, rather the best. It began with a pair of Cobalt-winged Parakeets, that sat down in a palm, almost at eye-level and didn't fly away, eventhough I got VERY close to them.
I only got very few times so close to birds... This time to Cobalt-winged Parakeets...

Then I went to see the birds at the lagoon another time. Before I even entered the fields I noticed some movement in the underground, where I found a smaller Black-and-white Tegu a big lizard which I had seen once on my trip into the jungle. There it had been almost 70cm, this time it was only about 30-40cm. The next animals I got were two Capybaras fleeing from me into some nearby plants. A beautiful Black-throated Mango was followed by some big bird, which I think must have been a hoatzin. When I tried to find this one in the tree where it had landed I found an Anhinga with its wings outstreched. On the other side of the small grassway there were Wattled Jacanas and another grey rail, which I soon got to see very good and could ID it as the Grey-necked Wood-rail. I got very good pictures.
Also the Black-throated Mango let me get rather close
Aswell as the Grey-necked Wood-rail

Before I got even close the big grey heron, which I suggest must be a Great Blue Heron, already took off. There haven't been many records of Great Blue heron in the Amazonian Lowlands, so this one really interested me, but I only got very short looks before it vanished behind some trees. Then i noticed something swimming in the lake and got to see my first cayman in daylight, this time a Spectacled Cayman. This day seemed to turn out rather a wildlife day, than a bird-day. A Purple Gallinule was there aswell and the Capybaras came to swim and feed between the swimming plants after a while. The Black Caracara and greater Anis showed up, bot birds I had missed the days before.
This Spectacled Cayman was my first cayman in daylight.
And those Capybaras were there too

I ended my Coca-Tiguino-Coca trip with 117 species of which 43 were new for me and only 31 birds had I seen on visits before, which I didn't see this time... And i have been here already 5 times before, once I even went to a jungle lodge... My Ecuador total is now 361 and there are still some birds that need to be identified. Also are there many regions I have not been too, especially the coast!

No comments:

Post a Comment