Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Coca: First part


Finally I can report you from my trip to Coca...
For those who don't know, Coca is the capital of the Province Orellana in the Amazonian lowlands and often considered the capital of all the Oriente. My family owns a Hostel there, so from time to time I go to visit the jungle. One of those trips was the reason that got me into birding and "wildlifing". When I went to a jungle lodge, the Yarina Ecolodge I discovered how fascinating the wildlife out there is and since I looked everywhere for animals.
This time I had much more time than normally and so I went for almost 10 entire days.
This is too much to count in just one, so I will write about it in 3 parts.
I already now Coca very well but nevertheless there is still very much to discover.
After I had arrived at 4AM from a long busdrive I went to sleep a few hours and then at 8o'clock I was already searching for birds in Coca. The activity was very high, I got many of the bigger flycatchers aswell as 2 species of parrots almost all of the common birds in the city. Then I went on to go and cross the river, where I knew a cow-field with many birds. By 2PM I had cleared up like 90% of birds that I knew from here. But the highlights of this day were for sure a Pygmy Marmoset I found just near the roadside and the four Pink River Dolphins which I observed almost for 2 hours from the middle of Coca, while they were playing in the Rio Napo. It seemed they had smaller greyish dolphin which I think was a juvenile. It was so incredible for me to see those dolphins play just in the middle of the Rio Napo, because I didn't even know if I would see them in more remote areas.
The back of a bigger one. They would almost never show much than this...
...but once I got also a head. Two times half the body came out of the water but I wasn't prepared those times...

The next day I tried to clear the stuff I hadn't seen the day before, and with most birds it worked. I even added a few birds like Turquoise Tanager and the very beautiful Masked Crimson Tanager. I found the Pygmy Marmoset and its mate another time in the same tree.
I first thought of some Amazonian Dwarf Squirrel, but soon I knew better.

The next day there was not too much because I just checked of an area where a huge group of probably like 80 or more Dusky-headed Parakeets let me get very close. The best bird though was a Little Tinamou that I flushed up and which I saw pretty good.

Wattled Jacanas are very common in wet areas...

Then on the 4th day I went further on the street, than I had ever done and found a new areawhich held many good birds for me. I got most herons and my first Anhinga ever aswell as a juvenile Little Blue Heron another new bird for me.
When I arrived back to our Hostel my father asked me if I wanted to go to Tiguino, where my brother Roberto was working I agreed, but the bus was going to leave in about 15minutes, so I packed my stuff quickly and then went to Tiguino, from what I will tell you in the following post...

No comments:

Post a Comment