Saturday, April 24, 2010

Animal experiences

In all my years of searching for animals, eventhough it wasn't really professional, I happened to have some experiences I'll surely never forget. For example I had some hummingbirds sitting on my fingers this year and I had many bird nestlings in my garden in Hamburg, also including some funny Eurasian Jays.

But the absolut highlight in my life, was a Stonefish I almost put my hands on when I snorkeled in the Red Sea. Maybe you already know that this fish is considered the most venomous fish in the world and can be almost invisible, because he "imitates" a stone. It was my very first encounter with this species, I was 10 years old, and I snorkeled in water, that was less than 1m deep. So I used the stones to move through the water. I was just going to put my hands on this "stone" when I realized something about this stone. It had a mouth. And eyes. And fins. When I realized this, I was faster out of a water, than you could count to 3. But 5 minutes later I was back in the water, trying to find it again...

Also did I have to pull my flipper out of the open mouth of a male, 2m-long Galapagos Sea Lion, that obviously only wanted to play, but I like to have somebody a little less big and strong to play with, like the female, that posed very nicely for the camera.
Another cool thing was, on the maldives, where my father and I went to dive every single minute we could. Then one day, we were driving to a diving site, by speedboat: Dolphins, Flying fish and some other things had I already seen, but then I saw something really impressing: Do you have ever seen fish jump out of the water. For sure, but was this fish 2m long, jumped the same length out of the water and was followed by 6 others? There was a group of sailfishes, just having a funny time I guess...^^

Maybe one of the most spectacular things I have seen was the displaying of a pair of Variable (Red-backed) Hawks. They were flying high in the air, then two of them flew together and suddenly shooted downwards, like arrows, their wings close to the body and circling one around the other. The spactacle was not more than 5s long, but it was incredible with what a speak they were falling and it was incredibly cool, how they made this spirals.

Find the Stonefish!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment