Thursday, March 22, 2012

Red-necked Beauty

Last Saturday I went to an interesting area quite close to my home (about 20 minutes by bike), that I hadn't visited since I was a very young child!
The day before a Red-necked Grebe had been seen there and so I took the opportunity to get to know the area a little bit.
There are some forrests, where I found Greater Spotted WPs and also many Green WPs. The grasslands dominate the area and are quite dry. There I found a Great Grey Shrike, Yellowhammers and a singing skylark.
On the lake were 10 Gadwalls, 1 Pochard and 2 Mute Swans and of course my first-for-Hamburg Red-necked Grebe. What a beauty!
I had seen a Red-necked Grebe only once before, on Heligoland, where it was much further away and the views weren't comparable to the views I got this time.
As I watched it I also heard my first Chiffchaff for the year, which soon showed up, but was too quirly for photos.
Other good birds were a Hawfinch and a Raven. Unfortunately this area is just 1km east of "my area", an area I defined myself and is more or less my neighboorhood in a radius of about 5km. If "my area" was just a little bigger I could have added Great Grey Shrike, Raven, Red-necked Grebe, Skylark and Yellowhammer to the "My area"-list...
Doesn't matter... I had a beautiful day

No comments:

Post a Comment