Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Heligoland

Well it was already two weeks ago, when I was in Heligoland, so I'm sorry I write just today.
It was an incredible trip, I actually LOVE Heligoland and I'm sure I'll return soon. In the 4 days I spent there I saw 98 species, of which 25 were totally new, 3 were new for Germany and 8 are rarities on Heligoland (6 in Germany).
I'll tell from those rarities first:
On the first day, when I just had arrived I found (before I had even seen any Chiffchaffs) a Yellow-browed Warbler:
As I went on I found a group of birders watching this Western Bonelli's Warbler
We also found a Hume's Leaf Warbler of which i didn't get a picture and also this other Yellow-browed Warbler.
I saw several (at least three different) Black Guillemots during my time on Heligoland
There was also one Little Auk
There were 2 Lapland Buntings during all the time on the NE beach and on my last day I found another 3 in another place (Oberland: higher elevated, grassy part of the island)
There was a Richard's Pipit during the whole time in the harbour region called Kringel
And this Thrush Nightingale was on the minigolf place during my whole stay, but i only saw it twice.
There was also loads of other rarities i missed just by one day or because i didn't know of them: Sabine's Gull, Pallas' Leaf Warbler, Red-flanked Bluetail, Siberian Chiffchaff and Pallid Harrier. Other rarities or uncommon birds that are on the island right now, or which I missed just by a few days can be seen here. I was on the island from 13th till 16th October...

No comments:

Post a Comment