Thursday, March 31, 2011

Productive trip to Duvenstedt with a camera that doesn't work

On March 19th I went to the Duvenstedter Brook again and had some nice birds. But my camera wouldn't work as a little bit of plastic from another SD-card that had broken would block it. So this time there won't be any pictures. Eventhough it would have been so nice to have ne with me. Because the birds were quite close and wouldn't move to much. I saw another Middle Spotted Woodpecker in the forest which seem to be quite easy to see there, as I've seen it almost everytime I went by now. Then I watched the Cranes feeding in the grass just like 30m away from me. A soaring Red Kite distracted me and flew right over my head at optimal photo distance, when a Crane pair mated. They breed here, so I will have good chances to see them again.
As I went on a woodpecker call turned out to be my first Little Spotted Woodpecker of the year, a female. 2 Yellowhammers were a first sighting for me in Hamburg and after talking to another birder, who told me he was waiting for the Stonechats to come, as they turn up normally around this year, I drove a few 100m on and find a male sitting in midst of a meadow and singing quietly his song. Driving on I found the Great Grey Shrike sitting just 10m of the way and chasing for insects. But my camera...
Driving back to the Metro station as it was going to get dark I checked the goat traps that were put on the sides of the street to protect them from being run over, but no goats were in them yet. But instead I suddenly stood just a few meters away from a Roe Deer, looking deep in its eyes and it was looking deep in mine. We stood like this for 1 or 2 minutes and I hated my camera for not working. Then I ended my day with 2 Whooper Swans and 8 Goldeneyes as they were as usually on the lakes...

No comments:

Post a Comment